Are you frustrated because you are not making the progress in spite of doing “all the right things”?
Are you trying to find that missing piece of the health puzzle?
Awaken Your Health programs are designed to provide the answer to these questions and more. While functional lab testing and a comprehensive understanding of a clients past and present lifestyle will discover tremendous healing opportunities. These opportunities will only be successful if built upon a foundation grounded in nature.
Natural Law is a foundational pillar to manifest and sustain true health and vitality. The laws of nature are truths. In the presence of truths, contradictions can’t exist. What appears to be a contradiction is merely an error or a lie in human thinking. I discussed this in my last post, Contradictions and Health.
What I would offer today is some insight into natural laws as they relate to my D.R.E.S.S. for Health Success® Lifestyle Grounding framework.
This is where you want to begin and place your focus. The stronger this foundation, more likely you are to succeed and more able to maintain health and vitality over a lifetime.
- What we are really talking about is eating and in order to survive, you must eat.
- To manifest health and vitality, which goes far beyond mere survival, you must eat nutrient dense real whole foods appropriate for your genetically determined nutritional requirements*.
- Eat local. Eat Seasonal. Eat Organic/Biodynamic.
- Eliminate inflammatory foods regardless of how nutritious or appropriate they may appear to be.
- Real food is grown/raised the way nature intended and minimally processed.
- Factory farming including monoculture (growing and harvesting one plant) does not occur naturally in nature. Neither does CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations).
- Chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers, anti-biotics, growth hormones, even unnatural feed are all the inventions of man or used due to the intervention of man and are not required in real farming.
- True farming of food requires knowledge and intelligence not merely information and technology.
*I personally practice and coach Metabolic Typing® as created by Bill Wolcott. It is, in my opinion, the most effective means to discover and meet your genetically determined nutritional requirements now and for the rest of your life.
- Rest or sleeping is essential as healing most occurs while you are asleep. If your sleep is compromised or deficient so is your capacity to heal, much less grow.
- Humans are diurnal, we sleep at night and are active during the day.
- Strive for 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Depending upon your state of health, you may require more.
- Hours of sleep prior to midnight are of higher value to the healing process. It’s better to sleep earlier than sleep in later (i.e., 10pm to 6am or 9pm to 5am vs. 12am to 8am).
- Create a dark, quiet, cool (temperature), electronic free sleeping environment. Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs) can be very disruptive to sleep.
- Utilize rest/naps during the day if needed. Don’t resist your innate intelligence. Even as little as 5 minutes of mindful breathing can re-energize or re-focus the body/mind.
- Humans are designed to move. There are very few if any health challenges that can’t be helped by moving, even as simple as walking.
- Move with purpose every day. Strive for 30-60 total minutes each day.
- Don’t be sedentary, but also don’t over-exercise moving beyond your body’s ability to recover.
- Have your Primal Patterns® (squat, lunge, bend, twist, push, pull and gait) assessed. Dysfunctional movement is not only a major stressor and detracts from quality of life, it also sets you up for acute and/or over-use injuries.
- More is not always better, move smarter!
- Your health is, too a large degree, determined by your body’s ability to resolve or adapt to the effects of stress (physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, nutritional, environmental and biochemical).
- The goal is to reduce overall stress levels as much as possible, living within an innately stressful modern society, while strengthening your body’s natural defenses.
- Physical Stressors include over/under exercising, postural distortions, mechanical deficiencies (Primal Patterns®), acute trauma, past physical injuries and surgical procedures.
- Emotional/Mental Stressors include mental fragility (anxiety, depression, quick to anger, general moodiness), abusive relationships (others and yourself), proximity to energy (chi) vampires and left/right mind imbalances.
- Spiritual Stressors include existential angst (lack of life meaning/purpose), following faith/belief systems out of sync with one’s core values.
- Nutritional Stressors include a diet inappropriate for one’s metabolically determined nutritional needs, processed and modern foods of convenience, insufficient nutritional intake relative to one’s daily needs and consuming foods grown/raised in opposition to nature.
- Environmental Stressors include chemicals, toxins and pollutants found in the air, food, water and soil, manufactured goods (clothing, furniture, floor/wall treatments, automobiles, etc.), cleaning and personal care products, etc. Also consider electromagnetic fields (EMFs), chronic climate controlled environments, and a lack of time spent mindfully interacting with nature, including the sun.
- BioChemical Stressors* include Gastro-intestinal dysfunction (poor digestion, absorption and elimination), Pathogenic Infections/Infestations (viral, parasitic, bacterial and fungal), hormonal imbalances, neurotransmitter imbalances, poor detoxification pathways and toxicity, immune dysfunction including auto-immune disorders), increased mucosal permeability (leaky gut), compromised energy production, nervous system imbalances (parasympathetic vs sympathetic), and HPA (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal), HPT (thyroid) and HPG (gonadal) Axis dysfunction.
*Don’t Guess, Assess! BioChemical stressors are often HIDDEN, in that while they are causal factors triggering the outward manifestation of symptoms, they are not easily or at all recognizable. I encourage the use of functional labs. Knowing what is actually taking place within the body allows for more targeted protocols and lifestyle suggestions.
Supplements (Targeted Use Of)
- Supplements are needed within the 21st century due to the toxicity of the environment, deficient nutritional profiles in food from chronically unhealthy soil, and the acute/chronic levels of stress imposed upon us through living in a modern society.
- The targeted use of supplements will amplify the results of appropriate Diet, Rest, Exercise and Stress Reduction lifestyle choices
- Appropriately used supplements will support, assist and stimulate metabolic function and enhance the healing and growth processes.
- Supplements alone will not make up for poor lifestyle choices. While they may postpone the inevitable, they won’t prevent it.
While these D.R.E.S.S. for Health Success® offerings apply to everyone, to what degree will vary. The results will vary because of Biochemical Individuality, a concept explained rather well by Roger J. Williams, Ph.D. in his book Biochemical Individuality: The key to understanding what shapes your health (1956). This concept is even more relevant today considering the epidemic levels of dis-ease across America.
Biochemical Individuality explains that everyone is as unique in their metabolic efficiencies as they are in their fingerprints. Biochemical individuality explains why:
- some of us are better at detoxifying drugs and chemicals
- cancer genes respond in different ways to diet and environment
- some people are alcoholics or diabetics
- one person needs higher levels of a specific nutrient than another to be healthy
- on any given diet some people gain weight while others lose weight
there exists no one side fits all successful health building program
Due to biochemical individuality there exists a multitude of possible causal factors for any particular symptom or disease. Expecting yourself to respond just like someone else is therefore unrealistic. Do you want to guess or assume when it comes to your health?
The Awaken Your Health programs, including FDN® Functional Health Coaching, Your Perfect Diet and Movement as Medicine are designed to recognize your Biochemical Individuality and take advantage of healing opportunities as they relate to you and your existing lifestyle.