Read it, don’t look away, in fact I ask you, no, I implore you . . . . look at it. . . . read it . . . . think about it . . . . and read it again. Maybe you can print it out and place it on your fridge or other high traffic area.
It’s okay to slow down, to stop the madness and get away from the hustle and bustle of modern life. You may believe it’s good to be busy and occupied all the time. That’s a fallacy, a distraction, a lie perpetrated by the ‘Man’. There’s much more to life than birth, school, debt, work, more debt and death!
Consistent hard work isn’t the issue. I’m not suggesting you stop everything and be lazy. But burning the candle at both ends, forsaking health and well-being to keep up with the Jones’s, or for any justification is not always; necessary, right or worth it in the long run.
Our modern lifestyle, how we’ve been told and taught to live, the messages we are bombarded with on a daily basis can be and often are out of alignment with what’s needed for true health, vitality, energy and purpose.
How you interact with people, places and things, especially yourselves can be and often is, incredibly stressful. If your ability to resolve or adapt to the effects of stress is compromised, your ability to be healthy is compromised regardless of your intentions.
Don’t buy it? Consider that in what’s considered “third world” countries, the top diseases are not what you expect: not cholera, typhoid or TB. Rather they are very common “western” ailments; type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer. These are modern diseases, the result of our modern environment and modern lifestyle choices. These countries have been led to believe it is best to become like us, and they have!
You may believe that modern science will compensate. If our technological advances are so great and impressive, then why’s the state of health within this country so awful? Why is the lifespan of those born this century expected to be less than their parents? Patterns and trends mean something. They may not be what we want to hear, but it’s often true nonetheless.
- In 2016, American healthcare made up roughly 18% of GDP. This is the highest percentage of any country. The average is 6%
- 65% of American adults are overweight or obese
- Over 36% (78+ million) American adults and over 17% (12.5+ million) of American children are considered obese
- NIH (National Institute of Health) estimates up to 23.5 million Americans suffer from an autoimmune disease and the number is climbing
- Alzheimer’s is the third leading cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer
- 26 million Americans have diabetes
- 7 million Americans have diabetes and don’t realize it
- 79 million Americans are pre-diabetic and may or may not realize it
- 1 in 3 children born in 2000 are likely to become diabetic
- 1 of every 2 black or hispanic children born in 2000 are likely to become diabetic
- According to the American Cancer Society the risk of developing cancer for men is 43.31% and 37.81% for women
- The risk of dying from cancer is 22.83% for men and 19.26% for women
Do you really think any one of the people falling into these statistics are better off adding more to their plate, pushing themselves harder, continuing to practice the same thoughts, actions and behaviors that have gotten them to this point? Is that not the definition of insanity?
WHAT’S REALLY GOING ON?
All your symptoms, complaints, health challenges and even diseases are caused by Metabolic Chaos™, or in simple terms, a loss of metabolic function/efficiency.
What drives Metabolic Chaos™ you may wonder? It’s your body’s ability or inability to resolve or adapt to the effects of stress (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, nutritional, environmental and physiological/bio-chemical). Chronic stress alters biochemistry at a cellular level and disrupted biochemistry impacts your ability to handle stress. It’s a negative feedback loop.
It makes sense that when you have periods of energy expenditure, it has to be followed by periods of rest and recovery.
We are designed for sprints followed by rest, not marathons or sustained constant daily output 24/7.
If you push too hard, too far, too fast, something will break. It is not a matter of if, but when and how will it manifest.
SIGNS YOU’RE NOT IN TRUE CONTROL
- Feeling as if life is spiraling out of control
- A belief that if you slow down, you will fall behind
- Being unable to sit still and quietly
- Skipping meals and/or breaks to continue working
- Frequently getting sick and illnesses tend to linger and hang on
- Dealing with any of the seven most common symptoms: headaches, tiredness/fatigue, insomnia/sleeplessness, allergies/sinus issues, mental fragility, muscle/joint tension/pain, and digestive complaints. While common they’re not normal. They are an early warning system
- Self-medicating with stimulants such as sugar, caffeine and chocolate to get through the day
- Self-medicating with alcohol or recreational drugs to calm, numb or slow the body down at the end of the day
- Feeling triggered emotionally or getting defensive reading this post
WHAT CAN I DO?
Acknowledge that imbalances exist within your lifestyle. That is, how you interact with people, places and things especially yourself.
Recognizing these imbalances requires an ability to turn off the auto-pilot program reacting to life. You need to stop, take a few breaths and look at the present situation honestly so you can decide how to respond in a more appropriate manner. In essence, practice mindfulness.
Once you stop reacting and begin responding it’s important to know what options exist, what variables to alter, and what is optimal for you. Doing the exact opposite rarely, if ever, is the right choice. While it may have worked for George Costanza, that was only a TV (teLIEvision) show.
Listen to your body. Cultivate communication with your innate inner wisdom. Your body can’t lie, it has nothing to gain and everything to lose. Your mind, or ego, loves to play mental hopscotch and will do everything within its power to justify away reality.
“We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”
– Ayn Rand
Your health challenges are your teachers. They are trying to teach you a valuable lesson, something is wrong, something is out of balance. Are you listening? Are you having a conversation or are you arguing and debating the facts?
Live by your core values. Choices made out of alignment with your core values are distressing (FACT)! You decide how to run your life. Society will if you won’t. Don’t allow others to decide what is right or wrong for you.
Learn to say “No”. The power of “yes” means nothing until you can say “No”! This is particularly challenging for many, especially women. Society has done a successful job with head games. It is unfortunate and harmful.
Understand what it means to cultivate health, vitality and energy. You can start with foundational principles outlined in my D.R.E.S.S. for Health Success® Lifestyle Grounding Program:
- Diet (Eating): Eat real whole food appropriate for your unique biochemical nutritional requirements – Metabolic Typing®, Stay away from the wrong foods especially inflammatory foods.
- Rest (Sleeping): Get quality sleep and adequate amounts (7-9 hours). Take time out of your day to rest before you feel depleted. You heal when you sleep.
- Exercise (Movement): Move appropriately relative to your abilities. Don’t move beyond your body’s ability to recover. Over-exercising can be just as bad if not worse than being sedentary. Take a walk. There’s almost nothing that a relaxing walk can’t help.
- Stress Reduction: HIDDEN internal stressors have serious health consequences. Assess, don’t guess! Functional lab testing gains insight into the multitude of metabolic pathways. Support healing, repair and recovery by stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system. Don’t forget to laugh and play!
- Supplements: If you are doing the above well, then targeted supplements can amplify their effectiveness. At the same time, supplements won’t compensate for poor lifestyle choices. They may postpone the inevitable, but not prevent it.
Consider this quote from the first Chinese medical text. You are your own doctor!
“The superior doctor prevents sickness; the mediocre doctor attends
to impending sickness; the inferior doctor treats actual sickness.”
If you believe you are doing everything right, yet still not making progress that’s realistically expected, maybe you need to dig deeper and get a fresh perspective. I offer that with my Awaken Your Health services:
- FDN® Functional Health Coaching – 12 and 26 week programs where we dig deep with functional lab work. I don’t treat the symptoms or the labs. I treat the individual manifesting the symptoms and lab results.
- Eating Makeover, an 8-week program using the science of Metabolic Typing® and Real Food to maximize cellular function. If there is only one variable you change, it’s eating. Malnourished cells can’t function effectively, the body is compromised from the inside out.
- Corrective and Functional Personal Training. We were designed to move. We function better when we move efficiently and appropriately. Train smarter, not harder!
There are many tools at your disposal to turn challenges into opportunities. The most important and strongest tool at your disposal is the fact that your body wants to be healthy, vibrant and full of energy. Programming exists within every single one of your 100 trillion plus cells. Offer those cells what they need to repair, recover, heal and grow while eliminating or reducing anything that impedes this process. You body will take care of the rest!
This approach has worked for me and for others just like you. If you would like me to be part of your health team, contact me. We can schedule a consultation. I am available in-person or remotely anywhere within the U.S.