- Air we breathe
- Water we drink
- Food we eat
- Body care products used on a daily basis – toothpaste, mouthwash, hair products, cosmetics, shampoos, soaps, body lotions, antiperspirants, sunscreens, etc.
- Food packaging and delivery containers – cans, plastic bags and bottles, styrofoam cups and carry-outs, etc.
- There are also industrial pollutants, home cleaning products, new cars, new carpets, new furniture and paints
- Don’t forget workplace exposure, beauty parlors, dry-cleaning, construction / renovations, department store aerobatics, etc.
Since WWII we have seen over 80,000 man-made chemical added to our environment. There are about 2,500 new ones added every year. Of those that have been studied for safety, most have been shown to be toxic and a great many are carcinogens and endocrine disruptors. These environmental pollutants make up a significant portion of the daily stressors and blocking factors that are causal factors in many of the health challenges you, your family and your friends are currently dealing with.
These chemicals are permeating every aspect of our lives and getting woven even deeper. Madison Avenue and its powerful marketing, coupled with the lobbying groups, have been able to keep pollutants in our lives while adding more in ways that you the consumer are not even aware.
Regardless of your lifestyle, there is no way to insulate yourself from exposure to these pollutants and toxins. It is impossible. You can minimize exposure but you can’t eliminate it. Even worse, the effects are cumulative. A little exposure will not kill you, but as they accumulate their impact magnifies.
Your detoxification pathways are one of the cornerstones to building health. Your liver is the primary detox organ while also playing a role in practically every other essential body process. If the liver is overwhelmed, fatigued or congested, your health will suffer. It is not a matter of “if”, it is a matter of “when” and “how”.
We know the body is designed to detoxify. We also know that in order for the detox process to happen efficiently, biochemical balance, metabolic efficiency and energy production need to be optimized. If your currently dealing with any health challenges, I can assure you that body function is not optimized.
We also know that we live in a modern fast paced world that is full of stressors and blocking factors. Our body is doing the best it can considering the circumstances. It is also painfully obvious when we look around, that the health of this country’s citizens is suffering in spite of the modern advances and technology. While the U.S. spends the most money per person on health-care, we are far from the top in overall health.
Stress and toxins, both present at levels never before seen, increase the body’s demand for nutrients. Consider that the standard American diet is nutrient deficient. Even organic foods are deficient relative to the past and that most people are trying to restrict food intake to lose weight. What you now have is elevated nutrient demand and suppressed nutrient intake. The body has no choice but to rely on nutritional reserves (minerals stored in bones and amino acids in lean muscle for instance).
These nutritional reserves are finite. They can’t be restored until the demand is decreased and/or dietary surplus is created. The end result is imbalanced biochemistry. This imbalance will result in some form of degeneration. In a degenerative state one simply does not have the raw materials available to maintain overall body function much less mobilize and eliminate heavy metals, environmental pollutants and chemical toxins from tissue storage.
In this degenerative or compromised state any additional exposure will have a great negative impact. There is only one option that makes sense one you take responsibility for your own health. That means minimizing exposure and maximizing your detox pathway function. How you deal with the present will dictate your future direction …. one of health or a further downward degenerative slide.
So What To Do? There are near endless amounts of detoxification information on-line and in-print and detoxification products and protocols available for purchase. While many, though not all are based in some part on science, they are mostly designed for the masses; a “one size fits all” approach. They all sound great but they may not have any real benefit short or long term because it is not addressing your unique biochemical needs. In other words, the protocol may not support or assist the root cause of your particular dysfunction. Until you do, the results are temporary at best.
You first step is to gain a baseline using effective functional testing. A baseline provides a reference for future comparisons. In addition, functional testing provides insight into how the body is actually functioning. You will see where imbalances exist. You will see the strengths and weaknesses. You will recognize healing opportunities and from this lifestyle protocol can be created which addresses your specific needs.
There is no second guessing when you assess and interpret the results relative to the individual. Course corrections are then based on information and observation not on confusion and questions.
What Are These Functional Tests? When it comes to detoxification and especially Heavy Metals (which everyone has been and is currently exposed to, especially if you have mercury amalgam fillings) a Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HTMA) is an excellent place to start. It is an excellent baseline of function and correlative tool. It is also inexpensive and easy to perform.
US Biotek’s Environmental Pollutants Panel (EPP). The EPP looks at 3 classifications of chemical toxins. You will discover what you have been exposed to and have stored in your tissue:
- Mutagens: A physical or chemical agent capable of changing genetic material and causing genetic mutations. Gene expression is part of this area and can be passed on from generation to generation.
- Carcinogens: Any substance directly involved in causing cancer. This is relevant as one of every 2 people born this century is expected to deal with cancer personally. Cancer is at best 5-10% genetic-based. Over 90% is lifestyle and environment.
- Endocrine Disruptor: Chemicals which can interfere with the endocrine system and hormones along with causing developmental disorders.
US Biotek’s Urinary Metabolic Profile (UMP). While the EPP looks at what you were exposed to. The UMP assess’s damage to the metabolic pathways involved in the detoxification process. It provides a snapshot into a wide range of bodily systems and levels of function or dysfunction, as the case may be.
Who Will Benefit The Most? This is a rather interesting question, and can be complex. I want to keep it simple:
- Tough Cases. The reason being that metals, toxins and pollutants can have a significant negative impact on practically every system in the body. If you believe you are doing everything right and still not getting results, this may provide the answer.
- Those with chemical sensitivities and severe oxidative stress
- Those with elevated Urinary Bile Acid Sulfates (UBAS). UBAS is a direct marker for liver function. If the liver is “congested” its ability to function, especially to detox is severely hindered.
- Expecting mothers or those wanting to become pregnant. This is a huge concern and I will explore this very soon
- Anyone with tachycardia, bradycardia, fainting spells, dizziness, frequent vomiting and nausea
- Men and women with high estrogen. Many pollutants are endocrine disruptor and estrogen mimicking
- Men with low testosterone
- Those with known MTHFR gene defects and suspected poor detoxification
Final Thoughts: Do remember that your body is programmed to search out health and function. When you provide it with what it requires and remove blocking factors, it can and will do its best to heal. You don’t have to do anything more than allow it the opportunity to express its true health potential which we have all been blessed with and deserve to experience.
The flip side to this is that if you go against nature you will most likely compromise your body’s natural defenses. If the stressors and blocking factors are sever enough or exist long enough, you can literally break body system function. The end result is a significant loss of quality of life as the body hits tipping point after tipping point progressing ever downward in function.
The choice is yours. As the philosopher Lao Tzu said,
“If you do not change direction, you are likely to end up where you are heading.”
Where Is Your Health Heading? If you are interested in discussing your health challenge(s) or how detoxification can be playing a role, don’t hesitate to contact me for a free consultation