In part one of this Fukushima Series we looked at the severity of the nuclear meltdown and realized that it is still out of control with no end in sight. In addition the radiation will continue to spread globally.
In part two, we discussed how your body is the best defense against this radiation exposure. The key is to enhance and strengthen the body’s overall function by focusing on the adrenal/hormone, digestive, immune and most important the detoxification systems. A protocol or plan, called the DRESS for health Success® program forms the framework to work towards optimal health.
In this last section we will look at how radiation harms the body. We will also consider how the body protects itself from radiation exposure.
We need to recognize that radiation exists in two forms; waves and particles. Radiation waves are similar to a fast-moving blade that cuts through the body. Gamma rays in particular move so quickly that they can pass through the empty space between atoms and not burn into living cells. However, when they do strike up against cells, and they often will, the damage can be very serious.
Radiation particles come in two forms; alpha and beta particles. Alpha particles are slow-moving and can be halted by the skin. Beta particles will penetrate the skin but can be blocked with a thin layer of aluminum. Gamma rays require a thick protective layer of lead (not a comfortable option to wear).
While radiation can enter the body through the skin, particles will be ingested through the air we breath and the food we eat. Once radiation has entered your body, in either wave or particle form, what protective abilities does your body have?
- Dissolving and Flushing: In the case of particles, your body can try to dissolve them, flush them out, or render them inert through chemical combinations. Flushing may theoretically be easier for Plutonium particles as they do not dissolve easily, though they are extremely toxic. If ingested, they could be resistant to being absorbed through the mucosal barrier (intestines), and potentially be passed straight through the GI tract and excreted. Unfortunately, this is less likely to occur with ingested Cesium particles. Cesium, though less devastatingly toxic than Plutonium, has a tendency to dissolve much more easily, so it can be readily absorbed through the mucosal lining of the digestive tract, passing into the bloodstream and into vital organs such as the brain or heart. If particles are inhaled into the lungs, however, it is potentially far more serious if Plutonium goes there, as it will tend to adhere aggressively, resisting attempts by the body to dissolve it or flush it out.
- Antioxidant Activity: Once a radioactive event (whether due to particle or wave) has occurred within the body, it produces a type of inflammation. Hydrogen peroxide, and other ROS (reactive oxygen species) are generated and can be observed as markers. To counteract the destructive launch of such free radicals, the body relies on antioxidants. The most important of these is Glutathione, which the body makes out of a number of precursor amino acids and minerals. Supporting the body in its production of anti-oxidants and cellular anti-inflammatories allows it to protect its tissue from damage.
- Anti-mutagenic Activity: Radiation, as we know, can cause terrible birth defects. This is because radiation can damage DNA, destroying the integrity of the double helix. The body can resist this forced mutation through cellular anti-mutagenic dynamics. Without going into a lot of technical detail, human cells at the cellular level have defenses against both cancerous tumors and mutations of DNA. This occurs through specific proteins and genes that work partly by activating apoptosis mechanisms. This is the body’s way of destroying and clearing out its own badly damaged cells, and essentially detoxing to allow for cellular renewal. A dilemma is that while this defensive system is active in adults, it is not fully developed in children and infants and even less so in newborns, fetuses or embryos. The earlier the stage of development, the more vulnerable the system is to genetic mutation.
“Most of the health risks are not going to be due to acute radiation poisoning. It’s going to be a risk of increased cancer.” – Dr. Russell Blaylock – Retired Neurosurgeon on the editorial staff of the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons
- Repair: Lastly, if damage has occurred, the body can try to repair it. It has to rely on a prolific internal supply of RNA and other nucleic acids, which can be used to rebuild damaged DNA, or other portions of the cell. Nucleic acids and RNA sources are typically found in green foods rich in chlorophyll, and especially from chlorella and spirulina. The body has multiple pathways that can be used as it tries to repair damage to its DNA. These pathways of defense mechanisms and adaptations are not yet fully active in infants, newborns or fetuses.
Comments: It should be apparent that your body is incredibly designed, being preprogrammed with multiple methods to deal with exposure to radiation, toxins and chemicals. While these mechanisms are built-in, in would be incorrect to assume that these innate mechanisms are sufficient to handle the degree of radiation that we are currently and will continue to be exposed to. These mechanisms all require that the body is functioning optimally and being supplied with all the nutritional material and energy that is required.
The DRESS for Health Success® program, as discussed in part two, is designed to serve as a template for building optimal health. It is designed to maximize the metabolic process in your body and optimize:
Radiation and toxin exposure From Fukushima and modern society has layered upon us a new and significant stressor that previously never existed (within the last 80 years). The following are a few nutritional considerations that will aid in placing your body in better position where these defensive mechanisms can be optimized:
- You need to consume a diet that contains real whole foods that are correct for your unique individual metabolism (Metabolic Typing®). All foods should be raised or grown the way nature intended; organic, non-GMO plant products and grass-fed, free-range, wild, pastured animal / seafood products (although any seafood from the Pacific ocean is becoming more suspect every day).
- You need to stay away from inflammatory foods typically consisting of processed foods, preservatives, colorings, flavorings, added sugars, synthetic vitamins and minerals. Also consider a blood test to discover food sensitivities (MRT-Leap test for example). Regardless of how “healthy” a food is said to be, if it a source of inflammation, it must be removed. All foods can be a significant stressor and source of inflammation.
- There are specific supplemental foods, herbs, spices etc. that when consumed can enhance the natural defensive abilities of the body. I can assure you that the more optimal your body functions, the greater the positive effect of these foods as long as they are right for you.
- There are supplements designed specifically to enhance the above mentioned defensive mechanisms. Supplements are meant to support, assist and stimulate function, not make up for poor nutritional and lifestyle choices. You can spend a lot of money on the best supplements, if the diet is poor and lifestyle choices are questionable then the ability of the supplement to function as intended is compromised.
- The act of detoxification and tissue/cellular repair requires a lot of energy. If that energy is not available or able to be regenerated, the ability to detox and repair is greatly restricted or even prevented. Chronic stress is a massive energy drainer and roadblock to health.
You and every other person on this planet we call home is being effected by not just radiation from Fukushima, but also remnants from the one thousand plus purposeful nuclear detonations and untold number of unintended radiation leaks that have taken place since the 1940’s and continue today. If you then add the exposure to over 80,000 man-made chemicals many of which are carcinogenic and endocrine disrupters there is a need to strive for and make a priority the optimization of your health.
The increasing rates of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, autism etc. are all the result of the world we have created and live within. The fact that they are becoming common, does not make them normal. There is no reason to accept disease as a fact of life. You have the power to change your health destiny.
There is no better time than the present to take control of the situation. While we cannot change the external environment and the damage already down, you can change your internal environment and allow your true genetic potential manifest itself.